Grocery store shelves are getting spicy — literally. According to a recent NPD report, the cultural influences and adventurous taste buds of U.S. consumers have caused an increase in ethnic flavors on grocery store shelves and restaurant menus. With 62 percent of millennials and 65 percent of U.S. adults identifying themselves as adventurous eaters, it is no wonder bold flavors are taking over.
Among the top-growing spices and seasonings are curries, chili peppers and garlic flavors. And increasingly, these bold flavors are delivered through snacks. With nearly every meal being a snack — only 5 percent of consumers say they eat three meals a day without any snacks according to a recent Technomic report — consumers are looking to add variety to their snack food options.
Omega-9 Canola Oil is ideal for these more adventurous snacks because it offers a clean and neutral taste, allowing the intended seasonings, such as bold spices or tangy flavors, to shine through. Along with a flavor profile that supports flavorful snacking, Omega-9 Oils are a healthier oil solution as they have:
- Zero trans fats
- Among the lowest levels of saturated fats of any cooking oil
- Uniquely high amounts of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats
Omega-9 Oils have a variety of beneficial applications to food processing and specifically snack production:
- Frying/par frying: The unique fatty acid profile in Omega-9 Canola Oil extends fry life and minimizes cleaning for snack food production. The oil is currently being used by many chip, tortilla chip, par-fried snack and extruded snack manufacturers.
- Spray: Omega-9 Canola Oil is a great option for spray oil application where seasonings are added to crackers and nuts, for example. The natural stability of Omega-9 Canola Oil can extend the shelf life of these packaged snacks without artificial preservatives.
- As an ingredient: Omega-9 Canola Oil can be a great core ingredient for baked goods and snacks as well. The clean taste enables food flavors to shine through, and the fatty acid profile can improve nutritionals and increase shelf life. Omega-9 Canola Oil can also be used with a hard fat in bakery applications.
Check out this short video to see how a variety of snack food manufacturers have evolved their snack options for consumers by switching to Omega-9 Canola Oil.