The Omega-9 Oils team recently traveled to Chicago to participate in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®). The conference, which attracted approximately 13,000 food and nutrition professionals, features education sessions, briefings and culinary demonstrations and an expo with nearly 500 exhibitors, including leading ag and commodity organizations, packaged food brands and foodservice establishments.
The Omega-9 Oils team had a positive experience, as the team connected with numerous dietitians throughout the event to share about Omega-9 Oils and the Good Fats 101 program. We received many questions about Omega-9 Canola Oil, including how it is produced and processed and the benefits of the oil. You can read more about our FNCE trip here.
Popular trends on the expo floor included:
- Plant-Based Foods: Pea protein, various nut and nut butters, bean and lentil-based products, along with plant-based milks/beverages, nutrition bars and ice cream were seen across the Expo floor.
- Healthy Fats and Oils: Fats and oils remain a popular topic at the show. Seafood, healthy oils such as canola, soybean and olive oils, avocado, nuts and seeds were well-represented across the floor.
- Good for the Gut: Several brands leveraged products relating to gut health, including fiber supplements or ingredients, prebiotics, probiotics, fermented and cultured foods.
- Free-From Solutions: From boasting about non-GMO and no artificial ingredients to gluten-free and FODMAP-friendly foods, the free-from trend was prominent at the expo.
- Transparency and Sustainability: Brands continue to share about their production processes and sustainability efforts. Some used virtual reality to bring the farm, while others brought in real-life displays or showcased raw ingredients.
- Convenient Nutrition: Food manufacturers are offering busy people on-the-go snack solutions such as cottage cheese cups with fruit, granola bites, nutrition bars with clean labels, peanut butter in a pouch and smoothie delivery kits.
Omega-9 Oils and Good Fats 101 will be back at FNCE in 2018! In the meantime, you can contact our team to learn more about how to make the switch to Omega-9 Canola Oil.
®FNCE is a registered trademark of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.